Holy Trinity Catholic Church - Bandon, OR

    St. John the Baptist Catholic Mission - Port Orford, OR   

Father George Kuforiji
PASTORAL ADMINISTRATOR
WELCOMES YOU TO BE WITH JESUS, OUR LORD AND SAVIOUR

Parish History 


Holy Trinity began as St. Mary, Refuge of Sinners, dedicated August 12, 1883. It was renamed “Holy Trinity” by Father Charles Keveny in 1909, making it the only Catholic Church between Astoria and the California border. The parish is the second oldest on the Oregon Coast.

 

 

Historical Timeline


1818                       Oregon Territory occupied by Great Britain and United States

1836                  First log cabin church built in Oregon at French Prairie

1838                        First Catholic Priest arrived in Oregon – Fr. Blanchet

1839                        First mass celebrated in Oregon at French Prairie

1846                        Archdiocese of Oregon City established by Rome

1851                        Coal Mines were opened in Southern Oregon

1853                        First missionary priest visited Coos Bay region

1859                        Oregon admitted as the 33rd State in the Union

1873                        City of Bandon founded

1880                        Archbishop blessed foundation of Church in Bandon

1881                        First Catholic Church built in Coos County at Bandon

1883            Archbishop Seghers dedicated the church in Bandon, Mary, Refuge of Sinners

1909            Fr. Keveny changed the name to Holy Trinity

1911            Two-story rectory built

1936            Original church and rectory destroyed in fire

                        Blessed Sacrament removed by Mr. Parent

1937            Second church built on the same location

                        (68x30 building cost about $5,000)

1957            Fr. Vandehey built present rectory

1962            Added the “hall” and vestibule to the church

1964            Four sisters of St. Francis of Atonement from Graymoor arrived after the convent was built

1983            Celebrated “100 Years as a Parish”

1985            Added the dining room to the parish hall

1993            Built the classroom addition to the parish hall

2008              Celebrated “125 Years as Parish”

 

 


Home
Father George's Homilies
From the Desk of Father George
Parish Pastoral Plan
Holy Trinity Home
St. John's Home
Bulletins
Locations
Prayers
7 Sacraments
Examination of Conscience
The Rosary
Links
Contact Us
New Building Project