Holy Trinity Catholic Church - Bandon, OR

    St. John the Baptist Catholic Mission - Port Orford, OR   

Father George Kuforiji
PASTORAL ADMINISTRATOR
WELCOMES YOU TO BE WITH JESUS, OUR LORD AND SAVIOUR

St. John's Pastoral Adminstrative Committee Minutes for 2008


Below are the minutes for 2008 Pastoral Committee meetings

Meeting Minutes of Dec. 11th, 2008
The meeting was held at 6:00 pm in the Church gathering area and was called to order at 6:10pm by Chair, Dusty Harrington-Collins after we had helped ourselves to a sumptuous Asian dinner prepared by Stephanie as well as side dishes and desserts brought by others attendees.

Present were: Dusty Harrington-Collins, Chair; Phil Colozzi, Vice Chair; Sherry Johnson, Secretary; Father Andrew Thomas, Pastor; Ken Brewer, Finance Chairman; Carol Hart, Rolando Rodriguez, Rick Williams, Stephanie Brewer, Marvin & Sharon Zuber, Mary Colozzi, Sarah & Glen Thurow, Mary Jane LaBelle, Chet Dacayana, Priscilla Lang, Jonell Morce and Bob Thomas, Fr. Andrew’s father.

The opening prayer and grace was given by Father Andrew.

Minutes: The minutes of the Oct 16th meeting were accepted as presented, with the change pointed out by Father Andrew that the Jan 1st Mass time is now planned for 9am instead of 8:30am (MSP: Rolando/Priscilla).

Old Business:
1. Red Cross Blood Drive: Dusty reported that all went well with the drive held here yesterday. The next blood drives will be held at St. John’s on 2/4/09, 4/8/09 and 6/3/09 and volunteers are needed to watch over the church during the day of the drive.
2. Protection Training: Rick said that the classes will hopefully be held here sometime between January and March and will not cost the parish anything.
3. Annual Church Cleaning: will be held in the Spring.
4. Christmas Decorating: will be held after Mass on Dec. 17th and Stephanie will coordinate a brunch.

Reports:
1. Religious Education & Youth Outreach: No report.
2 Budget & Finance:
 Ken handed out a financial report for July through November which showed we were in the black $763 for this period.
 In December we may go $2000 in the red partly because the cost of the sound system was higher than expected. Jonell suggested we might consider writing for a grant. Sherry suggested we go back to the original local donors of the system and ask for the money to cover the additional cost of the sound system of approximately $800
 Ken thanked Phil for his input with Quick Books to help prepare our financial reports.
 Ken suggested we renew 2 CD’s of approximately $3000 for 2 more years (MSP:Phil/Glen).
 The archdiocese needs updating on our list of parishioners. Phil will coordinate this with Fr. Andrew after Father receives input back from the Christmas letter he will be sending out.
3. Nominating Committee: It was moved that the position of the next Vice Chair of PAC be offered to Glen Thurow (MSP: Phil/Fr.Andrew). Phil will be moving up to the position of Chairperson of PAC at the April meeting and Sherry agreed to stay on another year as Secretary.
4. Altar Society: Stephanie said the Altar Society had about $250 in the bank and are doing fine.
5. Publicity: Sherry said she and Viv have put articles into the local papers lately…about Salvation
Army bell ringing, caroling and a list of all our upcoming activities and services.




6. Liturgy: Rolando said the Christmas decorating of our room in the Hughes House went well. The choir has been rehearsing on Saturdays at 11am.
7. Community Outreach: Sherry reported that the Salvation Army bell ringing which started on Saturday is going well. St. John’s parishioners raised over $400 and there are 3 more churches signed up to participate in this annual fundraiser that we coordinate. The feedback for both the bell ringing and the Christmas caroling has been very positive and many people from other churches joined us in caroling after reading about it in the paper. It was suggested that we continue to start the Salvation Army bell ringing fundraiser and plan our annual caroling party on the first Saturday of December to coordinate with the Christmas Bazaar in town, which the caroling group serenaded after singing at Ray’s.
8. Membership: Phil and Sherry have been updating the membership list

Pastor’s Report: Father Andrew reported:
 Audit is finished for the parish and there are 12 recommendations to consider for St. John’s. He said the bank statements for the Altar Society and the Women’s Guild need to be sent to him and he needs to be a signer on both of them.
 Advent books are here for everyone at St. John’s.
 Call to Protect: the people in the church, who this applies to, need to be updated by June.
 Copy Machine: The parish office at Holy Trinity got a new printer that can handle paper sizes up to
11 x 17 inches. The old copy machine will be given to St. John’s.
 Bulletins: Father is soliciting local businesses to pay for advertising in the church bulletins to help with the costs. The bulletins will be larger and some will have color.
 Administrative Help: He is asking the archdiocese to pay for hiring someone part-time to help with administrative duties of the parish, such as the bulletin.
 Appreciation: Father thanked everyone for volunteering and for making his first pastorate job go so well.

New Business:
1. Prayer Tree: Rick thanked the members of the church for all their prayers and for sending flowers to Viv who is doing well after her knee surgery this week. Rolando said that Jean Corazza also thanked us for our prayers, in her behalf.
2. Disaster Relief: Mary said we need someone to work with the Red Cross to establish shelters in Port Orford in case they are needed for disasters. Father said we should check with the archdiocese regarding their policy on this and bring it back to PAC.
3. Vicariate Meeting: The next vicariate meeting will be on Feb. 18th in Coos Bay. Phil and Mary volunteered to attend.

Next PAC Meeting: Thursday, February 12th, 6pm at church.
Opening Prayer: Father; Closing Prayer: Sharon; Meal: Potluck - Stephanie will coordinate.

Ken gave the closing prayer.

The meeting was adjourned at 7:02pm !!!!!

Sherry Johnson, Secretary
Meeting Minutes of Oct. 16, 2008
The meeting was held at 6:00 pm in the Church gathering area and was called to order at 6:15pm by Chair, Dusty Harrington-Collins after we had helped ourselves to a lasagna dinner prepared by Carol Dunn as well as salads and desserts brought by other attendees.

Present were: Dusty Harrington-Collins, Chair; Phil Colozzi, Vice Chair; Sherry Johnson, Secretary; Father Andrew Thomas, Pastor; Ken Brewer, Finance Chairman; Carol & Lew Dunn, Rolando Rodriguez, Viv & Rick Williams, Stephanie Brewer, Jim & Micki Struck, Marvin & Sharon Zuber, Mary Colozzi, Mary Murphy and Lady, Father’s Scottish terrior

The opening prayer and grace was given by Father Andrew.

Minutes: The minutes of the Sept. 4th meeting were accepted as presented, including the correction pointed out by Dusty. (MSP: Ken/Phil).

Old Business:
1. Advent Reconciliation: Confessions will be heard on Thursday, Dec. 11th from 3-4:30pm, Adoration will also be from 3-4:30pm, a Healing Mass will start at 5pm, followed by a meal and our next PAC meeting around 6pm.
2. Protection Training: Father said the times for training and updating will be announced later.
3. Parking Signs: The sign in the front parking lot for Father’s spot completed by Rick.
4. Sound System: Ken said it should be installed by next Wednesday.
5. St. John’s Sign: Rick said he is working on the new sign that will face south.
6. Red Cross: Dusty said the Red Cross had cancelled the scheduled blood drive in October at our church without notifying us first. Father suggested we give them one more chance at using our facilities.
Reports:
1. Religious Education & Youth Outreach: Rick said Helene is trying to set up a training session for the middle of November.
2 Budget & Finance: Ken handed out a financial report for July through September which showed we were in the black $876. 56 for this period. Father said he was pleased with the report and that we need to average around $2700 in collections per month to stay up with expenses. Father will bring our parish up to date with a finance talk in January.
3 Maintenance: Ken said the outdoor front lights have been repaired and the back lights are waiting on Rick. Rick said he is getting bids to bring power to the outdoor front of the church for Christmas decorations and to light the new church sign.
3. Altar Society: Stephanie said they are doing well and have over $300 in the bank from contributions during coffee hour.
4. Publicity: Viv suggested we get a photo on Nov. 2nd of Rick to send to the paper announcing his call to deaconate candidacy. Sherry will take the photo.
5. Liturgy: Rolando went to the Vicariate meeting in Coquille on Oct. 15th. The next ones will be: Dec. 10th at Holy Trinity, Feb. 18th at St. Monica’s in Coos Bay and May 6th at St. Charles in Gold Beach. Rolando reviewed the upcoming liturgies.
6. Outreach: Sherry said we have received the new bus passes that will be good through March 2009 and she will give half to Gary Culley to distribute, as in the past. This may be the last of the bus passes unless the transit system receives another grant to continue the program. The Salvation Army Bell Ringing was discussed and it was agreed that we continue to organize this event in town and other churches and organizations will be asked to participate again. Saturday, Dec. 6th, will be our scheduled day in front of Ray’s Market
7. Membership: Phil and Sherry will get our updated mailing list and labels ready for Father’s Christmas letter.

Pastor’s Report:
Father Andrew said that Holy Trinity will pay for Rick’s deaconate stoles.
Father will send out a Christmas letter for Holy Trinity and St. John’s.
Holiday Schedule for St. John’s:
 Dec. 6th – Saturday - Christmas caroling 10am until noon, Salvation Army bell ringing 9am until 3pm.
 Dec. 8th – Monday, noon – Celebration Mass of the Immaculate Conception.
 Dec 25th – Thursday, 8:30am – Christmas Mass (no mass on Wed. the 24th)
 Jan. 1st – Thursday, 8:30am – New Year’s Day Mass

New Business:
1. Prayer Tree: Mary Colozzi handed out a newly prepared list for the prayer tree.
2. Carpet Cleaning: Dusty asked the Women’s Guild to come up with a date for carpet cleaning which we would do ourselves, with carpet cleaners owned by parishioners. Father suggested it be done after the worst of winter is over, during Lent.
3. Christmas Decorating at Church: Viv described our usual Christmas decorating and Father suggested it be done on Wed. Dec. 17th, after Mass.
4. Hughes House Decorating: Rolando was volunteered as Chairman again of this annual event.

Next PAC Meeting: Thursday, Dec. 11th, 6pm at church (after the Healing Mass – see above)
Opening Prayer: Father; Closing Prayer: Ken; Meal: Stephanie will do main course and others will bring potluck side dishes.

Rolando gave the closing prayer.

The meeting was adjourned at 7:50pm

Sherry Johnson, Secretary
Meeting Minutes of Sept. 4, 2008
The meeting was held at 6:00 pm in the church gathering area and was called to order by Chair, Dusty Harrington-Collins after we had helped ourselves to a “tale gate party” dinner prepared by Stephanie and Colleen and a plethora of delicious desserts.

Present were: Dusty Harrington-Collins, Chair; Sherry Johnson, Secretary; Father Andrew Thomas, Pastor; Ken Brewer, Finance Chairman; Carol & Lew Dunn, Rolando Rodriguez, Helene Harrington-Collins, Viv & Rick Williams, Carol Hart, Stephanie Brewer, Colleen Gryzwana, Priscilla Lang, Jim & Micki Struck and Chet Dacayana.

The opening prayer and grace was given by Father Andrew.

Minutes: The minutes of the July 31st meeting were accepted as presented (MSP: Carol/Colleen).

Old Business:
1. Hughes House Mass: The Assumption Mass was not held at the Hughes House this year but at the church on August 14th.
2. Membership: Phil Colozzi was not present but Dusty said Phil had put an article in our local paper welcoming new and old Catholics back to the church. (9/5 Correction: Viv put the article in the paper)
3. Prayer Chain: Mary is putting together a new prayer chain based on the returned questionnaires and it will be completed soon. Mary’s name will be at the top as the first person to call to start a prayer chain.
4. Masonic Sign: is on hold. They did not agree to our requested changes for the sign.
5. St. John’s Sign: a new sign for St. John’s, visible from the south, is being worked on by Ken and Rick.
6. Sound System: Ken said he is still working on finding a good one.

Reports:
1. Religious Education & Youth Outreach: Rick said the Catechist program has been postponed until after Oct. 15th because we have to obtain the required background checks for all people working with youth.
2 Budget & Finance:
 Ken handed out the financial statement showing that we were finally in the black by $751.38 for the two months of July and August of this year.
 Later in the meeting, Father Andrew corrected the amount that St.John’s was in deficit for the past fiscal year…it was $8853 not $7353 as reported in the financial statement handed out at the July 31st meeting due to charges that came in later.
3. Altar Society/Women’s Guild: Stephanie reported that we gave out 7 food vouchers for Rays in July and that the Altar Society has about $250 left in funds.
4. Liturgy: Rolando gave a brief report. (Father Andrew had given a training session preceding the PAC meeting to all those involved in the church liturgy and Rolando also handed out a booklet he had prepared about the liturgy).


5. Publicity: Viv said there were articles about the two special masses in the paper. Sherry presented an invoice of $124 to the Budget chairman for the 50 directories she just printed and distributed at church last Sunday. Sherry mentioned that there was an article in both papers with a nice recognition of the contributions of cookies made by the Women’s Guild for the After School Program held in the spring.
6. Maintenance: Dusty thanked Phil and Mary Colozzi for all the work they have done in fixing up the parking areas of the church. The outdoor lights that need repairing will be done by Rick and Ken. Colleen mentioned that the carpet in the church needed cleaning and it was suggested that it be done with the help of parishioners.
7. Community Outreach: Sherry reported that the Chevron Station in Port Orford is now accepting our distribution of Salvation Army vouchers for gasoline. Also she said that the last person she sent to Shore Line Motel with a voucher was accepted by the manager. It will be up to them, in the future, if they will accept a person we send there with a Salvation Army voucher for a night’s lodging. Sherry mentioned that she had written a letter to Ray’s corporate office asking them to consider doing a local fundraiser for the Common Good.
8. Membership: Dusty said that Phil had made phone calls trying to reach people on our lists that do not attend church on a regular basis and inviting them to attend. (9/5 Correction: No calls have been made yet - Phil researching who to contact).
9. Pastor’s Report:
 Father Andrew said that the St. John’s deficit was actually slightly larger than reported at the last meeting due to charges that came in later. (See above Budget & Finance report).
 He said he will hold a Protection Training on Monday, Sept 8th at 9am for all those people in the church who will be working with youth. At that time he will hand out applications for background checks. He said that the Catholic Church is leading other churches in this area now.
 On Thursday, Dec. 11th from 3-4:30pm, Father will be here for Advent Reconciliation. At 5pm he will hold a Healing Mass and at 6pm there will be a PAC meeting.
 All Saint’s Day Mass was discussed and Father said it will be arranged and announced later.
 Viv mentioned that St. John’s would like to have Father join us in Christmas caroling this year – it will be decided later.

New Business:
1. Holy Trinity PAC Meetings: Father has requested that someone from St. John’s attend on a quarterly basis. The next meeting will be Dec. 9th and Rick and Viv have volunteered to go
2. Bulletin Entries: Should be e-mailed to Carol Hart by the Tuesday before the bulletin printing.
Sherry said to contact her if you would like something put on the parish website, beyond what is in the bulletin.
3. Book and Brochures: The cost of these for St. John’s will be billed to us through Holy Trinity. Father said he will bring the Advent books to us.
4. Red Cross: Father said that he had been approached about using St. John’s for their 6-9pm evening board meetings. Someone from St. John’s would need to be here to open and close the church. Sherry mentioned that the new Port Orford Library has a small meeting room available for organizations for no charge and meetings can be held after library hours. Rick will convey this information to the Red Cross.
5. Phone Directory: Jim Struck asked if there was a better way to keep it updated. Father Andrew said he will send a letter before Christmas to all those listed inviting them to church services and also to call him to update our information. It was suggested that we add a section in the next directory to remember people in prayer who have died in the past year.

Next PAC Meetings:
 October 16th at 6pm and it will be potluck with Rick giving the closing prayer.
 December 11th at 6pm (See Pastor’s Report above).

The meeting was adjourned at 7:15pm!
Sherry Johnson, Secretary


Home
CALENDAR
Contact Us
Links
The Rosary
Examination of Conscience
7 Sacraments
Prayers
Locations
Bulletins
UPCOMING EVENTS
Father George's Homilies
From the Desk of Father George
Holy Trinity Home
St. John's Home